So, I took the weekend off from blogging; and came back with a great topic! I made a list of tricks, that is, little strategies I use around the house that help get things done easily and cheaply.
1. This "trick" was passed down by my husband's grandma, and it is one of my favorites. If you have ants, put a dryer sheet where you see the little critters. The ants take the substance and bring it to their nest. I want to add here that we recently had an ant issue in our bathroom, and this trick worked within two days of the dryer sheet placement.
2. If you have glass shower doors, keep used dryer sheets near the shower. When you are done showering, use the sheets to quickly wipe the glass to prevent soap scum.
3. Add two dry wash clothes to your dryer right before starting a cycle. Some of the moisture gets absorbed, and it cuts about 20 minutes from the drying time.
4. Kitchen sponges are notorious for collecting bacteria, and the main cause is leaving them wet. After using your sponge, put it in the microwave for two minutes. It quickly dries the sponge, and you prevent the smelly mold and bacteria from forming. You will not need to replace your sponge as often, and it is also much more sanitary.
5. Use baking soda to clean your garbage disposal. Just run cold water from the faucet, and turn on your disposal. Pour about a tablespoon of baking soda down the drain while the water and disposal are on, and you have a clean, odor free garbage disposal.
7. Use empty tissue boxes to store plastic grocery bags in your closet. I also have an empty box in my bathroom to store used dryer sheets for the shower door (trick #2).
If you have tips and tricks, leave them in a comment! The more the merrier :)