Friday, June 8, 2012

Fall Off the Bone Indoor BBQ Chicken Legs

This is a true story, which will be followed by a real recipe.  Yesterday was one of those days where I could not get my daughter to eat anything.  I offered her all of her favorite foods, and kept suggesting things for her to eat.  Nonetheless, she said "no" to everything, and in fact, refused to even sit in her highchair.  During naptime, I made chicken legs for dinner.  It was still hot, and sitting in a covered pan on the stove when my daughter woke up.  We played together for a little while, and I started offering her some meal ideas.  It was now 4pm, and the only time she had eaten was breakfast.  Still refusing food, I brought her into the kitchen.  When she saw the pan on the stove, she asked to "see" what was in it.  I took the cover off and told my daughter I made chicken for dinner.  She said, "highchair, chicken!"  I was hesitant at first, there were 5 pieces of chicken, and there are 3 of us.  It was the last day before grocery shopping, so there were no other dinner options.  However, I caved and gave her some, out of the pure excitement that she finally showed interest in eating.  Well, here is how the story ends; my little nugget ate two whole chicken drumsticks, along with some corn.  When my husband came home from work, she ate more of his chicken also.  Moral of the story, that was some good chicken!  Here is the incredibly easy recipe:

Serves 3
5 chicken drumsticks, skins removed
one vidalia onion sliced into rings
4-5 Tbls store bought bbq sauce
salt and pepper
canola oil for the pan

Heat a large saute pan over med-high heat.  Add oil, enough to cover the pan.  Season chicken with salt and pepper.  Once the oil is very hot, add the chicken.  Brown on all sides. Lower the heat to low, add the onions to the pan, and drizzle bbq sauce on chicken.  Cover the pan, and cook on low for about 45 minutes, turning once.  You will know chicken is done when it starts to fall apart.

**I made instant brown rice and frozen broccoli and mixed them together.  When the chicken is finished, put the pieces on top of the rice, and pour the sauce from the pan over everything.


3 comments: