Thursday, September 18, 2014

Butternut Squash Soup Recipe



I am slightly sad that Summer is ending  but I love the Fall and cannot contain my enthusiasm for Fall foods.  My taste buds are screaming for pumpkin, squash, apples, and s'mores. 

 I definitely associate flavors and seasons, being a Foodie will do that to you.  I am ready to put aside my cheeseburger and welcome a slice of pumpkin pie.  I started fulfilling my Fall foods craving tonight at dinner, and of course I had to start out the season appropriately.  Butternut squash soup was the first food to hit my flavor palate this year and I am not sorry.  By far one of my favorite Fall foods and soups. 

Here is my basic recipe:

Pre-heat oven to 400.  Halve two Butternut squashes lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.  Lie them cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet and add about a 1/4 inch of water to the baking sheet.  Bake for about 40 minutes, or until fork tender.

(To cut down on time, I baked the squash the day before, let them cool a bit, and refrigerated them).

Ingredients:
2 cooked butternut squash 
2 Tbls olive oil
1 vidalia onion diced
3 cloves of garlic chopped
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 carton of chicken broth (about 32 oz)
a dallop of light sour cream 



Heat oil in sauce pan over medium heat.  Add onion and let soften for about 3 minutes.  Add garlic, thyme, parsley, and rosemary.  Saute for additional 3 minutes.  Remove the skin from the cooked butternut squash and cut the squash in to chunks.  Add to the pot and stir with onion and garlic.  Add the broth and cover.  Simmer for about 20 minutes.

Using a hand blender, puree until smooth.  (You can use a blender and work in batches as well).
Ladle in to bowls and top with a dallop of light sour cream.

Feel free to let the creativity flow with this versatile soup, I always do.  Sometimes I add pumpkin seeds as a topping, I've added apples to the mix, changed the seasonings around (nutmeg and cinnamon work well), and replaced the sour cream with greek yogurt.  

Enjoy! Yummmmmm....





No comments:

Post a Comment